Measure breathlessness (BOLT)
In the Oxygen Advantage programme, we use a short breath-hold as a measure of tolerance to breathlessness.
Body Oxygen Level Test (BOLT)
Measure every morning before you get out of bed.
- Breathe in normal breath through your nose
- Breathe out normal nose breath
- Pinch and hold your nose until you feel the first desire to breathe
- You may feel a flutter in your belly
- You may feel tension in the jaw or a desire to swallow
- As soon as you feel any of these sensations, let go of the nose and breathe in
- Your breath in should be calm and relaxed
- If it's not calm then you held for too long
- Note the seconds you've held your breath - this is your BOLT score